2014 Family

2014 Family

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Bad Luck December and Boys' Quilts





Monday...a few days after returning to Yokota, I fell ill. I caught some nasty germs that made me practically bedridden and voiceless for the whole week.
I would have been bedridden if it were allowed but...I am the only parent here currently to get the kids to school and get them home again, do the shopping and pick up the packages from the post office.

It was miserable. Utter weakness, headaches, a deep chest cough and a sore throat.

Friday I started to feel a little better. Atleast enough to do a shift at the Food Pantry, help decorate the Relief Society room a little for the ward party and take my kids and their friends Brandon and Lumin to the school for the Winter Extravaganza party. They had a great time.




Saturday I should have stayed in bed. But I had responsibilities at the church. It was our ward Christmas party combined with a Japanese ward. And I was in charge of leading the activity day boys in the craft room. The boys, as a service project, were heading up the craft tables in the primary room during the party. I had bought and prepped all the Christmas crafts ahead of time.

Sadly, only four families of activity day boys showed up at the party. A lot of the ward members apparently couldn't make it to the party.

There was the craft room, selfies with Santa and a breakfast at this party. I had been asked previously to be the official photographer but...with Sterling being gone and knowing I would need to watch my children during the party I had to turn them down. So they decided they would let people take their own pictures using their phones. I was truly grateful I wasn't the photographer because I ended up being super sick. And because I had to head up my activity day boys.

Wood ornament coloring:
 Reindeer Christmas cards:
 Gingerbread kid decorating:
 Candy Santa's sleigh craft:
 Create your own Christmas cards:


 Lachoneus manning the hot glue gun while eating a candy cane:



 I am excited that my hair has grown out enough to put it in tiny ponytails:















I wanted to take my kids to another fun Christmas event happening on base later that day but...I was sick in bed the rest of the day.

Sunday I made myself go to church so I could teach my primary class. When we arrived at the church I was reminded something I had not thought about since the last Sunday (due to being sick)...the choir was performing all 3 of our Christmas songs today!!! I had not been able to practice or even think about the songs! And they were pretty difficult songs!
But, I did my best. My voice was coming back to me but it wasn't normal or loud yet. I just stood on the end, as far away from the microphone as I could.

After church I went back to bed. Later that afternoon (after 6 days of being miserably sick) I finally started to feel better. I started to have some normal energy and the gross taste in my mouth finally started to disappear. The taste I desperately tried getting rid of all week by scrubbing with toothpaste, rinsing with mouthwash, shewing gum and eating strong tasting foods. None of which actually helped.

December has not been my month so far! And it's half over.


While Sterling is gone I had hoped to fully enjoy all the "me" time I was going to get. I had intended to get some extra cleaning done around the house. And I had expected to enjoy it all so much that I start to truly miss having Sterling around.
Instead I ended up spending two of those weeks with Sterling, though one week was miserable. And another week terribly ill and allowing my house to fall into such a mess!
The "me" time has been me in bed feeling terrible and not missing Sterling at all...because when I am sick I want him to leave me alone. (haha)

I have ignored my kids quite a bit this week as I have laid in bed unable to take care of them. And now that I am starting to get better Sterling will be home soon. 4 more days!
By the time I recover my health and recover the house Sterling will be home! It was a wasted month. But oh well. Sometimes life goes like that.

Tomorrow morning Athena's kindergarten class sing their first Christmas performance at the school. Athena is excited to have me there and I am excited to see it. I had to cancel my dental appointment so I can attend! Of course, with my luck lately, after waiting a month to get my teeth cleaned I find the school has set Athena's performance to the same day and exact same time as my dental appointment.

Despite being sick, in the time I felt like I had enough energy to do so, I worked on my boys' quilts a little bit. I finished them even!
I wanted to keep it a secret , the fact that they were done, and give them to the boys on Christmas eve. But, Luke was too excited. He kept asking me about the progress. So, I gave in and gave the quilts to the boys tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment