2014 Family

2014 Family

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Lemonade Stand

On the East side of base there is often a lemonade stand open on one street or another. The kids enjoy selling sweet treats and drinks and the other children love buying from these stands.
Since we found a small lemonade stand at the Airman's Attic (for free) we've been planning to open shop ourselves.
Now that the weather is nice...not too cold and not too hot...it's a great time to start up this business.

I made a batch of brownies and bought pink lemonade powder.
While I was upstairs talking to Sterling Athena was in the kitchen acting like she ran the show. I had no idea she was pouring the entire container of dry mix into one pitcher of water. She had never made lemonade before, as far as I know. But she likes being in charge and taking charge. So, she made the lemonade without asking.

Ster and I gave her a lecture and then we divided the super strong stuff and diluted it a bit with more water.
Luke and I set up the stand and I walked down the street to post a sign on the busier street. It was 1pm on a Saturday so a lot of people were out and about to see our sign.
I posted on Facebook about brownie and lemonade being sold by young entrepreneurs. And the people came!

Tiberias had planned to be an owner of the business on opening day but then his friends came to play. Ty played with Miles, Porter and Dalyn Kartchner for hours.
Luke and Athena sold refreshments and made money.

Luke was practicing his math by being in charge of the sells and money. Athena was handing out snacks and being happy to be part of it.

Although, when our first customer (a woman) had walked up to the stand Athena was in the middle of an uncharacteristic fit. She picked up her little chair and angrily threw it across the grass like a crazy child.
Why was she upset? She wanted to sit where Luke was and I wasn't doing anything about it.
I quietly lectured her about her bad behavior then had her take her little chair into the house.

Sterling brought out camp chairs I had just bought for the kids. And they enjoyed sitting in those.

It cost about $6 for the kids to supply their goods. And only two of them were sharing the profits. After paying for the food, drink and cups they each made $14.50. Not bad!

They had many customers. I learned that one batch of brownies isn't enough. They all wanted to come for the brownies. Next time I will made three batches. And mini cupcakes too!
The lemonade stand was out of business about an hour after it open. The lemonade ran out. I was surprised how much lemonade we sold at 50cents a little cup. The brownies were also 50 cents. And we had M&M cookies from the store for 25cents after the brownies ran out.

On Facebook people were saying they wanted to come and were sad to miss it. They wanted to get brownies from my cute entrepreneurs.
So, next Saturday we will do it again...with more supplies so we can stay open longer.

I believe our stand was the first one open this year because the parents were not sure if they were allowed to to do this at this time...with the corona virus still a threat.
The kids wore their masks and I oversaw the stand for most of the time.

It was fun that even a base policeman stopped to buy lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment