2014 Family

2014 Family

Friday, April 3, 2020

Spring Break Begins/Family Portrait

The first week of school at home was really stressful. And having the kids home all day every day was trying as well.
The second week went by much smoother. We had a handle on it, I felt. We knew where to look for our assignments and how to turn them in. And what was expected of us. We also knew which assignments where not as important and to just ignore.
But by the middle of that week I was so frustrated at having the kids home all day every day and having the weather be cold and snowy then rainy. I couldn't just send them out to play with friends. They didn't stay out long when I tried that. It was too cold and they get bored easily when there are hardly any kids out.

I had lost my patience and yelled at the kids a few times by mid week. I was stealing secret crying time and wanting to scream and run away.

Luckily Thursday was the last day of school before Spring Break. Sterling has only been working two days a week recently but Thursday was a work day for him.
Luke is responsible and took care of his own school time. He is able to focus and gets stuff done and take breaks whenever he feels like it. Unlike in school where he has a hard time focusing when he is expected to and so he struggles to get things done on time or at all.
This is working much better for him. Then Ster checks on him in the evening to make sure things got finished and turned in...which they have been. I am so proud of Luke.

Tiberias needs tutoring with every assignment he has been given. So, I sit with Ty during every one. And I have to sit with Athena for every one of hers as well. She is very smart but so far all of her assignments require me to read to her.  It takes a long time to get through both of their school days.
Tiberias has been doing more school during a single day than he does in a regular school day. I give him long breaks and we finish in the evening before bed. That's what it takes.

Today, the last day of school before Spring Break, Luke had a mental health appointment. Dr. Hazelwood was happy to learn Luke is doing so well. Being so responsible with his school work. Sleeping well. Friends with his little brother whom he shares a room with and is with him almost all the time during this social distancing period. Hopefully they don't get sick of each other.

Finally the Dr. said he is doing well enough she might not need to meet with him again until after he starts 7th grade...to check on how that goes.

That afternoon I took the kids to a playground on the West side of base. It was so windy! We finally got a warm sunny day but the wind was so crazy that I hid in the car. Needless to say, we didn't play catch with mitts and glove that time. And we didn't last as long at the playground as I had planned. Nor did we get to eat the cookies I brought at the playground. I was too worried about what germs they picked up from the playsets. haha
I didn't have sanitizer. It was the first time I realized the importance of hand sanitizer. I thought it was silly that even here sanitizer is sold out. Why do we need hand sanitizer when we can wash our hands? This is why! No sink and soap at the playground.

That evening when Ster came home from work we ate pizza and watched Onward. The film was suppose to play in theaters about now but since most theaters are closed the movie was released to own instead. We purchased it and had a movie night.
What a great movie! I loved it!

We are all more relaxed now that there are no more deadlines for school for a while. Spring Break!!!

Friday morning was sunny, too sunny in fact. And no wind! Could this finally be the day I can get family portraits in front of the sakura trees!? Every day recently has been harsh weather. Too snowy and cold, too rainy and cold, too windy and now too sunny. Usually at 8am the lighting outside is decent but not today!
I didn't know this problem until after I spent an hour getting myself and the kids beautiful for pictures. So, we tried our best to make it happen. The cherry blossom petals become more and more scarce on these trees every day. And I wanted to have my family portrait this season!

We got a friend's teenager to bike a couple streets over to help us out. And we made it work.
I had to teach Athena how to smile without looking angry or scary. haha
And Tiberias usually feels blinded by the outdoors whenever we do outdoor portraits. Whether he is facing the sun or away from the sun he can't open his eyes in a normal fashion. He squints or pushes his eyes open as wide as he can but it looks bad. So, despite it being a truly harsh sun morning, all the kids did great!! What a blessing!

The top two...best of the lot:
1)

 2)
Some of the others...




No comments:

Post a Comment