2014 Family

2014 Family

Monday, May 25, 2020

She turns 35!


I love my birthday! I have never had a lack of enthusiasm for it.
Today I celebrate my birthday similar to every year...I do things I wish to do and have my family hand me gifts I bought myself.

This morning I stayed in bed. I love doing that lately.
Usually I lay in bed until I feel awake enough to get up. I'm spoiled that way.
I usually use my phone to see what I've missed on Facebook. Then I say my morning prayer and get up to get dressed.
This morning however Athena came in excited to wish me a happy birthday. She loves being the first one to see me in the morning. She opens my door a crack to peek in and see if I am awake. Even if her dad told her to let me sleep.
I say "Good morning Athena!" then she knows she's invited to come in my room, hug me and talk about the day.

This morning Sterling came in after her and they asked me what I want for breakfast. I had no idea. Usually I eat eggs or quinoa...something healthy.
I said "If I could eat anything in the world it would be strawberry stuffed french toast from IHOP.
So Sterling made some sugar free whipped cream, unthawed some strawberries (because fresh ones cost an arm and a leg here) and made me french toast. It was delicious! And I ate it in bed watching one of my favorite tv shows. Desperate Housewives. The one thing I don't like about the show is that all the women in the group of friends are toothpicks. And that just isn't normal. Housewives get fat. Or atleast chubby.  It makes me feel fat when I have no reason to feel that way.

Nowadays celebrities put on a few extra lbs and don't have to lose them. It isn't required to be skinny anymore. Viewers want to see women with realistic bodies...not anorexic womens bodies. We want to relate to the characters in our shows..not feel bad because we are not as skinny as them.
That's the main thing I love about shows and movies today.

Back to my birthday...
Today is the first day of summer for us. Technically school doesn't release here until the end of next week. BUT...the teachers are not handing out new homework. It's time for those who fell behind to catch up. So, we are starting our summer learning.

Usually we give the kids a week or two or free living before we start summer school. However, it's not a normal start of the summer. So many friends are self isolating because their parents are being overprotective. It truly is safe here for the kids to go out and play.
And some of the friends are using this week to catch up on school work that didn't get turned in yet. PLUS, Athena is grounded. She just can't remember to follow the rules when left outside alone. So she is grounded one week from playing outside without adult supervision and from playing with friends.
If she ignores her parents any more she will start being grounded from electronic time too.
It's sad because she looooves playing outside. And it's so healthy for her. But if she disappears, makes the neighbors angry and floods moody places then we can't allow her to play unsupervised anymore.

Every day during the week the National Anthem plays on loud speakers around the base at 5pm. This is when we eat dinner. But for some reason , instead of coming home at the Anthem, she disappears. Then dinner gets cold as we go out yelling her name and searching for her. It's annoying. And Sterling feels like it happens every single day. It doesn't. But it does happen more often than it should!

Currently we are hoping she will shorten her sentence by listening and obeying when dad or mom tell her something. She has a fun chart to keep track of when she is extra good or when she is extra bad...so she will be able to see if she is adding to her sentence or shortening it.

Again, back to my birthday...
I have wanted to learn how to do makeup...for years. I know how to do very basic makeup. But I want to learn some party makeup application techniques. So I watched a Youtube video and did my makeup. It did NOT turned out the way it did in the video. I must be afraid of applying too strongly one color because I always end up with a very natural look instead of the bold party look I attempted to get. Maybe I just don't have the right kind of makeup.
What I want:

What I end up with:



At 9:50am I went on a bike ride. I rode to the other side of base to get supplies I need at the craft shop. Sadly, the craft shop is running out of things and not getting new shipments in.
With so many people painting rocks on base the paint is running out. The craft store is the only store on base that sells it. And our favorite Japanese store Daiso doesn't sell paint.

So, I have to order it online and wait for it to come in the mail. It seems there is a shortage of craft paint online as well. Small bottles that cost 60cents at Walmart are $4.50 online. And even if you order paint you have to wait on backorder. I found the best deal today...I needed only white but I wasn't paying that price. But I found 18 bottles of different colors, one of which is white, for $17. I ordered it but it wont be available to ship for two more weeks. That's okay. It's better than my other choices.

The craft store didn't have any of the supplies I need. But I got a good exercise and that's important...knowing the dessert I have chosen to eat later today.

It's a beautiful day! Not hot and not cold. Sunny and pretty.
I came home and Ster was baking a store pizza for the kids. He drove to Dana Chula and got us some lunch. My favorite dinning place in Japan! The kids don't appreciate it so...we don't spend the money for them.

I got creamy chicken curry and plain Naan. Ster bought a funny new side but it's wasn't yummy. My other food was so amazing though!


After lunch the kids gave me birthday gifts.
I received a beautiful big bag to carry my church supplies on Sundays (when church starts up again) from Luke.
I received two coloring posters I intend to paint, frame and put on walls in the house...from Tiberias.
I received two new rings from Athena. I love having options when I leave the house based on what I am wearing at the time.
My gift from Sterling is him always supporting me and spoiling me too.

Yesterday I had a late realization..."Dang it! I should have thought to ask for a deep freezer for my birthday! Before I went and bought new clothes and all sorts of gifts for myself."
I told Sterling and we seriously discussed it. At first he said "Where would we put it?" This made me frustrated because I have wanted, nay, needed a deep freezer almost our whole marriage. And he never lets us get one. He says it has to be kept indoors and it has to be hidden from guests view. So, until now he's never said we could get one.

This time we decided it could hide under the stairs. He said yes!!! I am super stocked.
But, we'll have to order it online. It might be 6 months before we have one in our house.

During present time I also opened a package from my mom. It had random fun stuff from her "birthday box" which contains things she found cheap at yard sales or on clearance in stores.
I received from her Christmas socks, a makeup or pencil bag, a small roller back massager, a dragonfly charm to hang from my car mirror (Yay!), kitchen towels, a crochetted potholder.
She also ordered me some paint pens to make my rock painting hobby easier. :)
This evening I have a few friends coming over for a girl's night. At 7:30 I expect Charisse, Elizabeth and Sarah. I also invited Christina Parks but she is pregnant and is being extra cautious not to catch the Covid-19.

I am serving brownies and ice cream and I think the film I am going to show is "From Prada to Nada." Most people don't know that movie and it's been a long time since I watched it last. I am in the mood to watch it.

Sterling and the kids had their dessert upstairs and watched tv and/or play video games during my girl's night. Nathan Kartchner was there too. Ster was helping him figure out his Kodi computer.

My party was downstairs and it was Elizabeth Frost, Charisse Kartchner, Sarah Auna.
It felt so good to hang out with other women... to chat and have fun together. And these three are so awesome. I am going to have to do girl's nights regularly from now on.

I forgot to get a group picture while the girls were over. I was disappointed so Charisse put together this silly pic and sent it to me...

You know...I don't mind growing older. I don't mind turning 35 or who knows it. It's hard to believe I can have reached that age but still feel I am so young. And at the same time feel I've lived an entire lifetime of experiences too! Crazy!




Some of the gifts from friends:

 We got together a week late for another girl's movie night and got this shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment