2014 Family

2014 Family

Monday, March 18, 2019

Vacation

There was a blizzard in Rapid City Wednesday night. Thursday the military base was closed. So Sterling could not get anything done.
The school was closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. So the boys didn't get their last day of school as scheduled...to say goodbye to everyone.

Wednesday I took Ster and the kids to an eye doctor. Sterling's eye injury from a couple years ago has been worsened. At the pool party he got poked in the eye by a child. It was so red and irritated!
So he saw a great eye doctor who put a bandaid on it to hold the wound closed. That made the pain go away but they dilated his eye. That made it so he could not see very well. But we had to go sign some documents with our realtor.

Amber Hoffman met with us and another legal lady. We signed pages that needed to be signed in person. We had to sign them before leaving SD.
We were not sure yet if the sale of our house was going to go through. We were still waiting to hear back from our insurance company on whether they would cover the cost of roof and gutters replacement.

Thursday we checked out of the hotel. My plan was to play at the downtown library one last time, play at the mall and then meet Jenn and her kids to eat and play at BK.
Thursday the sun was shining and the sky was blue. The sun was starting to melt the snow. The road however were slick in some places and piled high with snow in some places. The freeway and many other roads were clear and safe to drive on. But because of the piled high snow on roads a lot of people would not be able to safely or at all make it to their places of employment. So, most businesses were closed.
All of the fast food joints were shut down! The library and even the mall!
I needed lunch ...so we kept driving around looking for a place to serve me food. Applebees was open! So we stopped there and enjoyed some food and dessert. We didn't know where we would go or what we would do for the rest of the day. We were also waiting to see if our flight would get cancelled due to the snow.

Druceal Sheldon called me to check on me and when she found out we were in a bind she invited us to spend the day at her house. We played with all of the Sheldons for hours! From about 2pm to 5:40pm. Jenn Christensen came over and hung out with us too.

Luckily our flight wasn't cancelled. It had been pushed back a lot but not cancelled. One of the few flights to actually fly in or out of the Rapid City air port that day.

Sterling dropped the kids and I off at the airport. He was going to stay at a hotel that night in Rapid and get everything done the next day so he could leave SD himself...driving our van to Provo.


Rapid City's airport is small and not busy. So going through security is quick and painless. :)
We waited for about an hour before they boarded the plane. Then there was a problem with the plane so we had to wait on the plane a little bit. The kids were nervous. They were all young last time they rode a plane.

Ty sat by the window because Luke did not want to. Athena sat by the window on my side.
Ty loved it but was nervous when the plane made turns. Luke was nervous the whole time. Athena was nervous when we were in the air flying for a while. She had been happy with take off though.

The kids were able to play the tablet to occupy their minds and ease their nerves. They received their box of chocolates that I bought them at Valentine's but saved for them. They enjoyed eating that on the plane.

When we landed we met Abi who had also flown into Salt Lake and had been waiting for us. Grandpa and Grandma Roundy were there to drive us to Provo.

When we left Rapid City the temperature was so low and the winds were unkind. When we got to Salt Lake it was night but it was in the 30s with no wind. We were happy for the change! Tiberias said "Why is so nice outside?!" My response "Because we're not in South Dakota!"

When we arrived at the Roundy's house many of Sterling's siblings were there. It was pie day so there was a pie party happenig.. pizza pies and homemade pies and store bought pies.
The kids and I went to bed at 11pm. That is very late for us.

Friday we spent the day relaxing and having a good time at the grandparents' house.

Saturday Sterling was able to join us in Provo! I had missed him! I was also glad to get the clothes and things he brought with him...and our van! :)

Saturday evening we ate dinner ...all of Sterling's siblings who could make it. And the adults played Killer Bunnies until my kids were asleep.
Sunday we went to 9am church. We ate lunch and then had a visit from Grandpa Boren, Nephi and Chubbz and Eliza.

We walked with them to Lion's park where we played at the playground, played horshoes and Bocce ball as well. We had a great time. The weather was so warm and beautiful!

 Trying to get Athena to smile AND look at the camera at the same time:



 Finally!



 


At 4pm they left and the Roundys joined us. Sunday dinner at 4pm. We ate mint ice cream and brownies that evening. Simone and I skipped out to attend a fireside. The fireside included John Groberg who is famous for the movie based on him "The Other Side of Heaven." There were musical numbers by Tongans and wonderful speakers.

Being in Utah and attending the fireside has restarted the drive inside my heart to be better and give more to my Heavenly Father. When I was in Rapid City I think I felt more in the world. Surrounded by people who don't know the gospel. So I felt that I was doing great. That I didn't need to work to become more than I am because who I am is closer to what God wants us all to be than my neighbors in SD. Than many members in my ward even.

I study the at home curriculum the church has provided. I fulfill my callings. I attend church. I pray. I serve whomever and whenever I can. I fast on fast Sunday.
But I do not feel spiritually strong. My testimony is soft. And I don't always feel close to my Father in Heaven. I feel God wants me to do more...to be pickier about what shows I watch and how I spend my Sabbath day. Yet, I don't make that effort.

In Japan I worry I will once again lose that desire to work on myself spiritually.

                         Monday we met up with Traver and Simone, Travis and Aubrey, and their children for lunch at Carls Jr with a playland. Then we met grandma at Exchange park. We brought balls and a flying disc and had a great time on a beautiful afternoon. Then we took the party back to the house.

We have something fun planned every day this week for our kids to spend time with cousins.
A picnic at a park, the Nickle Arcade, the Bean Museum. Then Friday my kids will spend time with Grandma Boren, Alissa, Eliza and Alissa's kids here in Provo. Sunday we will drive to Logandale to spend a few days at the other grandparents' house in the hot desert.






























No comments:

Post a Comment